NIH Research Supplements to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research: Information for UCSF Students, Trainees, and Junior Faculty

Are you a trainee or junior faculty interested in a career in clinical and translational research?

NIH Research Supplements to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research provide funding for trainees and young faculty to work on an existing NIH-funded project in a particular area of interest. Principal Investigators who hold an active NIH grant are generally eligible to submit a request for a Diversity Research Supplement.

How to Take Advantage of this Opportunity

  1. Find Out Which NIH Funding Entities Offer this Supplement
    Please refer to our NIH Diversity Supplement Chart to see the list of NIH institutes and centers (ICs) that offer this supplement. Eligibility criteria are different depending on the funding IC.
  2. Find PIs that are a Match for You
    We encourage you to use UCSF Profiles to search for PIs whose grants fall within the eligibility guidelines listed on the NIH Diversity Supplement Chart and whose research aligns with your expertise and career path.
  3. Contact or Network with a PI
    Once you have identified PIs with eligible grants that could potentially be a fit with your research, talk with them about this funding opportunity and work directly with them to submit the application. To learn more about submission requirements, you can contact the Office of Sponsored Research staff for your department.

Back to top

Is a Diversity Supplement right for me?

Every research project is different. Depending on the grant and the Principal Investigator, the Diversity Supplement may provide salary and training support.

This experience may provide:

  • The opportunity to work on a funded research project in your area of research interest
  • Hands-on work experience on a research project
  • Experience of working with a multi-disciplinary research team
  • Tuition for coursework. See a list of recommended courses.
  • An opportunity for you to present abstracts, posters, or co-author a paper (depending on your role and depth of involvement on the project)

Back to top