The Clinical Research Services (CRS) is excited to announce a new partnership with the Department of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging. The CRS Body Composition, Exercise Physiology and Energy Metabolism Core will merge with the research group of Dr. John Shepherd to form a consolidated core on the Parnassus campus.
The combined Body Composition, Exercise Physiology and Energy Metabolism Core will offer the following services:
Exercise testing – treadmill testing, cycle ergometry, 6-minute walk tests, gait-speed, and shuttle walk.
- Muscle function testing for a wide variety of muscle groups can be performed using a computerized Biodex isokinetic muscle testing machine.
- Respiratory gas analysis - indirect calorimetry for measurement of resting and exercise energy expenditure and substrate utilization.
- High resolution 3D optical whole body scanning that provides up to 400 anthropomorphic measures.
- Advanced bioimpedance measures.
- Body composition and bone mineral density scanning - the combined core will have a new Hologic Horizon/A DXA system. This DXA system includes many enhanced features such as measures of visceral adipose tissue, abdominal aortic calcifications, high resolution vertebral fracture assessment, and scan modes for infant and children’s bone and body composition.
- DICOM compatible reports and database exports for import directly into Excel or advanced statistical software will now be supported.
Services will be offered at 400 Parnassus Ave, C level as of March 1st 2015.
Directions: Breast-bone Density Contact.
For further information regarding the services offered by the body composition/exercise core, please contact: John Shepherd at 415-476-8814 or John.Shepherd@ucsf.edu.