CONNECTING YOU TO
Training & Advancement
Designed to train UCSF's new generation of clinical and translational researchers
Get an Overview
Offering short summer courses, formal degree programs, and everything in between.
Interested in pursuing a career in clinical and translational research.
Interested in making research a part of their career.
- Course in Designing Clinical Research
Guidance in writing:
- clinical research protocols,
- study types,
- sample size estimations, and more, via bi-weekly group lectures, 4-week small seminar groups and peer review sessions.
- Catalyst Internship Program
Learn about early translational research and the process of translating academic discoveries into valuable products.
- Opportunities Designed for Residents
Gain a foundational understanding of clinical and translational research methods and evidence-based medicine skills to foster career development as investigators.
To get support and develop skills important for translational and clinical research on various levels in their career.
- K Scholars Program
Provides clinical and translational research training and mentored support to individuals with career development awards at UCSF.
- KL2 Scholars Program
Provides training, mentoring, start-up research funds, and protected time for junior faculty to pursue clinical research, including patient-oriented research, clinical trials, epidemiologic research outcomes research, and an optional master's degree.
- AHRQ K12 PARTNERS Program
Designed to train clinician-researchers for the effective generation and uptake of patient centered outcomes research (PCOR).
- Training in Implementation Science
Translating Evidence into Practice, Policy and Public Health. Trains investigators to:
- integrate interventions into diverse practice settings,
- understand how knowledge and evidence-based interventions are represented, transmitted, and interpreted among different stakeholder groups.
- Opportunities Designed for Faculty
Get help finding a mentor, or develop skills to mentor more effectively.
- Junior Faculty Mentoring Program
Complements other UCSF mentoring support for junior clinical and translational investigators.
- Mentor Development Program
Training for mid-career and early senior research faculty to become the next generation of confident effective clinical and translational mentors.
- Mentor Development Online Course
Read and learn about the different aspects of mentorship. Seminars offer cases that document individual scenarios, solutions, and tools.
Advance your academic curriculum with a graduate degree targeted to clinical and translational science.
- Master's in Translational Medicine
Training in applying translational research and engineering approaches to solve problems in healthcare delivery. Provides the tools necessary to bring treatments and devices into clinical use.
- Master's in Clinical Research
Rigorous, 2-year course for advanced pre-doctoral fellows, post-doctoral fellows, and faculty members who wish to master clinical research methods and pursue independent research careers.
- PhD in Epidemiology and Translational Medicine
Rigorous training in epidemiologic and biostatistical methods along with opportunities for practical experience in a wide variety of applied areas including clinical rotations.
- Clinical & Translational Informatics Graduate Program
Training in core informatics theories and methods complemented by coursework and experiences in clinical and translational research or quality and safety of evidence-based care.
- Graduate Education in Medical Science (GEMS) Training
Enables students in the major Biomedical Science Programs to pursue interactive investigations with clinical researchers that accelerate the application of basic science discovery to improvement of human health.
- Clinical & Translational Science PhD Track for Oral & Craniofacial Sciences
1-year Advanced Training in Clinical Research (ATCR) program followed by 2 three-month-long rotations in laboratories engaged in clinical research. Designed for DDS/PhD students, or post-DDS/post-MD clinicians.
Grant Writing Training
Examples of successful research proposals and expert advice on how to navigate and write grant applications.