Training in Implementation Science
Translating Evidence into Practice, Policy and Public Health
On this page
What is Implementation Science?
Health care providers and the public are increasingly aware that promising research results do not easily translate into improved human health. The science of implementation and dissemination – frequently referred to as "T2" or "T3"— comprises a multidisciplinary set of theories and methods aimed at improving this process of translation from research evidence to everyday health-related practices. Implementation research, in particular, examines how interventions can be better integrated into diverse practice settings, and emphasizes direct engagement with the institutions and communities where health interventions are introduced.
Certificate Program in Implementation Science
A one-year, part-time program offering a series of courses focused on applied methods of implementation, particularly as they relate to developing more effective interventions. Ideal for people with a master's degree in public health or clinical research, or the equivalent, and who are currently engaged in the development, implementation, and evaluation of health-related programs. Complete program information and application.
Master's Degree Program in Clinical Research, Implementation Science Track
A rigorous, two-year course of study intended for advanced pre-doctoral fellows, post-doctoral fellows, and faculty members who wish to master clinical research methods and pursue independent research careers. Implementation science track scholars take most of the same -courses as those required for the standard masters program, in addition to a series of implementation-specific electives. Complete program information and application.
Get Expert Advice—Consultation Services for Implementation Research and Interventions
CTSI offers Consultation Services for implementation projects, including study design, implementation, evaluation, dissemination, qualitative and mixed methods, behavior change interventions, and interdisciplinary collaborations. Learn more and request a consultation.
Implementation Science Resources at UCSF and Beyond
- UCSF Profiles: Search for UCSF researchers working in Implementation Science
- Center for AIDS Prevention Studies
- Center for Health and Community
- Center for Vulnerable Populations
- Department of Family & Community Medicine
- Division of General Internal Medicine (Parnassus, San Francisco General)
- Helen Diller Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Institute for Health and Aging
- Institute for Health Policy Studies
- Institute for Global Health Sciences
- Center for Aging in Diverse Communities
- San Francisco General Hospital Implementation Sciences Working Group
- Global Research’s Infectious Disease Implementation Science Group
- UCSF Center for Healthcare Value
- UCSF K Proposal Library
- NIH Resources on Dissemination and Implementation Research in Health (DIRH)
- Knowledge Translation Resources from Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- WHO's Implementation Research Platform